2016 Physical Chemistry Symposium Workshop
for Undergraduate Chemistry Majors
American Chemical Society National Meeting
August 21 - 25, 2016
Following on a history of very successful undergraduate workshops on Physical Chemistry Symposia at fall ACS meetings, Casey Londergan (Haverford College) is organizing a Workshop for Undergraduate Chemistry Majors at the Fall ACS meeting in Philadelphia. The focus audience is current junior chemistry majors who will be seniors at the time of the Philly meeting. Applications are due February 26, 2016.
Up to 25 outstanding undergraduate chemistry students will be selected for a series of undergraduate-focused talks and social events during the Philadelphia meeting. The 2016 program chair for the Division of Physical Chemistry, Professor Greg Engel (University of Chicago), has assembled a dynamic program that touches on many of the most exciting areas in physical chemistry. In order for this program to be more accessible to undergraduate students:
- The Division of Physical Chemistry will organize a series of introductory talks for the undergraduates by symposia organizers or speakers to provide background content and additional context on the symposium topics,
- The Division will schedule a dinner with selected speakers so that students and faculty can discuss science and graduate education issues informally, and
- Student participants are invited and strongly encouraged to present their research results as part of the Division of Physical Chemistry poster session on Wednesday evening August 24, 2016.
With the financial support of the Division we are able to pay for the student registration fee for the 25 undergraduate participants. We are not able, however, to support transportation, housing or meal costs (except for one dinner with symposium speakers and organizers). We therefore ask that as part of the nomination process, your institution commit the funds needed to make student participation possible. Selected recipients must be members of the ACS before attending the meeting.
Ideal candidates for participation in this program will be chemistry majors (or in a chemistry-related field) who meet most or all of the following criteria: they have completed at least one semester of physical chemistry, are planning to spend next summer engaged in undergraduate research, will be seniors at the time of the Philadelphia ACS meeting, and are considering graduate school in a chemistry-related field.
A complete application consists of:
- The one-page application form (pdf, doc) to be completed by the student nominee,
- A copy of the student's undergraduate transcript (an unofficial copy is adequate),
- The institutional commitment form completed by department chair or relevant official (included with the application form), and
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member who knows well the nominee.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis from Monday, Feb. 8, to Friday, Feb. 26.
All materials must be sent or emailed to:
Professor Casey Londergan
ACS PHYS Undergraduate Workshop
Department of Chemistry
370 Lancaster Avenue
Haverford, PA 19041
Nominees will be notified of the status of their applications in early March. The deadline for submitting poster abstracts is March 21st, 2016.
Questions? Contact Casey Londergan at firstname.lastname@example.org.